Fifth person dies in Neknomination craze after drinking two pints of gin
A fifth person has died after taking part in the ‘NekNomination’ challenges sweeping through British youth. Bradley Eames, from Sneinton, Nottingham died after drinking two pints of gin. He had recorded a Facebook video while consuming the alcohol, with which he had made a particularly toxic looking concoction by dunking tea bags in the spirit. His death is thought to be the fifth in the UK and Ireland linked to the drinking game.
Neknomination seems to be a mix of machismo, peer pressure and social networking and once more raises a despairing sigh about Britain’s dysfunctional relationship with alcohol. It involves people filming themselves chugging down improvised alcoholic drinks with a heavy emphasis on strength and vileness, flexing their virtual muscles and then nominating some other friend of theirs to do the same.
The 20-year-old said he was feeling ill following his Neknomination. Police confirmed they had been made aware of the NekNomination video but said a post-mortem on his body had not revealed the cause of death.
In the video, Mr Eames had promised to show people ‘how you drink’.
He said: ‘I’ve been watching you guys do the NekNominate but to me I don’t think they’re good so I bought myself some gin and this is how you drink.’
Even without alcohol awareness charities and government agencies issuing stern warnings and talking in terms of unit consumption, surely any vaguely sane individual can work out that downing spirits in such a fashion is dangerous.
Police are also investigating the death of Stephen Brooks, 29, who collapsed after drinking three quarters of a litre of vodka in under a minute and have hinted that those doing the nominating may face potential manslaughter charges. The first two lives were lost to spirits and showing off in Ireland when 22-year-old Ross Cummins and 19-year-old Jonny Byrne were found dead in separate incidents at the start of February.