Excite

Pigeon is prime suspect in London house fire

A bizarre culprit has been named as the likely cause of a house fire in London this week. It wasn't a well known local arsonist or even an embittered enemy of the residents, no it was a pigeon!

9 people had to be evacuated from a Stockwell home and surrounding buildings as a house went up in flames. Thankfully nobody was injured during the incident and firefighters were able to contain the blaze.

The fire started on the roof of the building and once quelled, fire officers went looking for the cause. It was not a very fruitful search initially as there did not seem to be anything located on the roof that could set off a fire.

London Fire investigator Matt Cullen said of the scene "When we got up into the roof, we were baffled as there were no obvious ignition sources. There were no electrics that could have sparked a blaze".

After a thorough examination of the scene fire officers had their eureka moment by uncovering a semi-burnt pigeon nest. Mr Cullen added "We believe that one of the birds picked up a cigarette butt that was still smouldering and dropped it into the nest, causing it to catch fire and set the roof alight."

Case closed! A smoker drops a cigarette butt without putting it out and along comes a pigeon to bring it home to the nest still alight. This will no doubt add to the ongoing debate over banning smoking in public places and add even further to smokers woes. It certainly highlights the need for smokers to fully extinguish cigarettes before disposing of them.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2017